Holiday Sweet Kugel
I'm trying to replicate a favorite family Kugel recipe that called for lots of butter, eggs and sugar. This one is not perfect since I do use Vegan butter and maple syrup however, it tastes darn good and eliminates all that cholesterol and processed sugars. The original recipe called for more vegan butter and syrup, I cut it down and it came out delicious. I think my Standard American Diet family members will really love this. I hope yours do too!
1 cup canneloni beans, drained
3 Tbs. plant-based milk or water
1/4 C maple syrup
1 Tbs. lemon juice
2 tsp. vanilla
8 oz. wide ribbon noodes (I used Spelt)
3Tbs. vegan butter
5 Tbs. plant-based milk
3 Tbs. maple syrup
1 Tbs. cinnamon
1 apple, cored and finely chopped
1 C raisins.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Blend the first 5 ingredients and set aside
3. Cook the noodles according to directions
4. Once noodles are cooked, drain and leave in pot
5. Add the butter, cinnamon and maple syrup to the noodles and mix
6. Add in the apples and raisens
7. Pour the canneloni blend in and stir
8. Pour into an 8x8 silipat cooking pan, sprinkle additional cinnamon
on top and bake 35-45 minutes.
* I like mine on the well done/burnt side so I leave it baking a bit longer!